Wedding cakes: 2017 trendsIdeas
26 Oct 2016 IGW TeamYour wedding cake is a chance to delight your eyes, nose and mouth, impress your guests and reflect your personality. Here are the hottest wedding cake trends for 2017…
1. MetallicShiny gold, silver and, in fact, any metallic finish, will be massive. This can work in a number of ways, from delicate filigree-effect patterns to blocks of shiny geometric boldness.
2. Sugar flowers.Sweet little blooms made of icing have always been around, but they’ve just got even better...and bigger. Cakes swamped in hyper-realistic floral decorations will be seen everywhere this year, and with many advances in cake-decoration techniques, hyper-real petals and stems are on the menu.
3. Naked cakes
They're officially here to stay! There are so many possibilities, especially when you can show off the filling, adding even more drama and personality to your cake table.
4. Painted.Watercolours are such a popular look across the design and fashion worlds of late, this was bound to show up. Painted cakes can suit any style, but we love the idea of swirling or splattering the hues of your colour scheme across a cake for a stylish yet simple statement.
5. Woodland.Earthy and natural is huge right now, and we love the idea of delicious cake stacked on a slice of a tree trunk, garnished with forest foliage and wild roses. Heaven – and Earth – on a plate!
6. Bold.While plenty of beautiful cakes will be adorned with white or off-white icing, bright and bold and daring wedding cakes are bang on trend in 2017. Black and gold, neons and jewel colours will be gracing some of the coolest wedding cakes out there.
7. Buttercream.Oh boy, lashings of deliciousness right here. The soft, fluffy frosting of our dreams and a massive trend for 2017 can be piped onto your cake in beautiful textures or smoothed on. Buttercream icing gives your wedding cake a warm, relaxed feel.
8. Cake buffet.No, not a scattering of supermarket fairy cakes here and a swiss roll there… we’re talking several beautiful wedding cakes, flavoured differently but styled along a common theme or look. Excuse us while we just grab a fork and pull up a chair…
So, which of these gets your mouth a-watering the most? Or are you marching the the beat of your own drum with something completely different? Go on, tell!
You might also like...
14 Sep 2016 | IGW Team
The ultimate wedding planning checklist to remind you what to do and when!
20 Oct 2016 | Meg Humphries (Editor)
Or: Why you'll need to hire a van for your Calais roadtrip.
30 Jul 2016 | Meg Humphries (Editor)
We answer all your tricky etiquette questions right here.
12 Jul 2016 | IGW Team
Cake tastings - a delicious but complicated world.